The many benefits you may gain from exercise include:
- Reduced risk for depression
- Decreased risk for cognitive decline in older age
- It is a major contributor to reaching and/or maintaining a healthy body weight
- Decreased blood pressure and triglycerides
- Increased HDL (your good cholesterol)
- Overall reduced risk of developing cardiovascular disease
- Decreased risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- Decreased blood glucose levels for those who do have diabetes
Do you ever wonder if you are exercising enough, or what your goal should be for exercising?
For the general adult population, most people should aim to do at least 30-60 minutes of aerobic activity 5-7 days per week. It is best to also partake in strength training at least 2 days a week.
In general, children should get 60 minutes of physical activity every day.
For individuals who do not partake in exercise, it is best to start small and work your way up. I often recommend that people start with a goal of exercising 2-3 days per week for 20-30 minutes each day. For those with chronic health conditions, consult with your doctor to make sure it is safe to start exercising.